Getting Ready for Advent and Christmas – MSA Imaginings November 2012
Advent is almost here. This wonderful season of hope and expectation begins a new liturgical year by drawing us into the excitement of Christ’s birth and the joyful anticipation with which we await it. It is a time to wait, to hope, to rethink our focus, and to imagine new ways to follow and serve Christ into the future. Now is the time to store up the resources we need to stir our imaginations and create new rituals and expressions of faith that guide us through a season in which our hearts ache for the coming of God’s light.
Alleluia The Christ Child Comes
Each year I produce a short meditation video for the Advent season. Waiting is never easy, and often, as we await the birth of Christ, it is hard to keep our focus on the things that really matter at this season. This year’s Advent video, Alleluia – The Christ Child Comes, focuses on the joy and anticipation that should fill our hearts during Advent. The music is “Wait for the Light” from the CD, VESPERS by Jeff Johnson with Janet Chvatal. Tools like this help me relax my mind and focus my thoughts, drawing me into the anticipation of the coming of Christ.
Alleluia The Christ Child Comes, is the most recent meditation in the series of Advent videos. Check out all the Advent videos HERE.
Let Us Wait as Children Wait
Another annual Advent event for us at MSA is the reflection series I host on Godspace. This year’s theme is Let Us Wait as Children Wait. I am very excited about this, and by the posts I have already received from authors across the globe, I can see that others are too. We hope this series will produce not only thought provoking reflections on how we as adults wait for Christ’s coming but also resources to prepare our children for the real celebration of Christmas. One of my most popular Advent posts is Celebrating Advent with Kids. People are looking for resources, not just to celebrate with their kids, but to find again that childlike enthusiasm and excitement we once enjoyed.
There is still time for you to participate. Do you know of resources that should be added to the list for celebrating with kids? If so we would love to hear about them. Or would you like to contribute your thoughts to this series? Please email me for more details. Or, like the MSA team, you may just want to spend more time reflecting on how you wait for the coming of Christ. Is it with excitement, impatience and barely contained longing, or is it with worn out indifference? What are some steps you could take to change that?
You may also like to check out Waiting for the Light: A Devotional for Advent and Christmas. This extremely popular resource was compiled last year from blog posts contributed to previous Advent series. It provides a rich array of daily reflection for the Advent and Christmas season. It is available as both book and ebook form.
Return to Our Senses: Reimagining How We Pray
The first copies of Return to Our Senses have been shipped and we already have people ordering it for book clubs and Bible study groups. Steve Hayner, president of Columbia Theological Seminary says: I literally prayed my way through this book and plan now to put it on my “must read list” for anyone wanting to take new steps in Christ. You still have until Nov. 15 to take advantage of the pre-order discount.
Any ways in which you can help us spread the word about this resource would be greatly appreciated.
What Kind of Future Do You Want?
Tom Sine is blogging again. His topic for the upcoming posts is, “What kind of future do you want?” This is an important question for all of us to ask and we hope that you will join the conversation. Check out Tom’s latest post here.
And check out the latest from other bloggers on our site:
- Andy Wade, Neighbors and Wise Men book review
- Steve Kimes, Not in MY Sanctuary and be sure to look back throug his past posts in this series on homelessness.
- And this wonderfully creative idea for how to use cardboard.
- Or join up for daily prayers and reflections on our Light for the Journey Facebook page.
We continue to expand the team of writers for our blog, highlighting creative examples of how God can stir our imaginations and creativity to better express our faith and serve our creator.
Pray for the MSA Team
- For the MSA team. We are excited about the future and our reorientation as a center for Christian innovation and creativity. Two questions we continue to grapple with: How do we ignite the divine spark within all of us? How do we encourage followers of Christ to move from Biblical hope to new design? We expect to have exciting new concepts to share with you in the next few weeks and appreciate your prayers as we develop these.
- For continued development of the Mustard Seed Village and the launch of CCSP Cascadia September 2013
- For new resource development. Ricci Kilmer is working on a Lenten devotional which will complement our existing guide,” A Journey into Wholeness”. We appreciate your prayers for its completion early in January 2014.
For travels and speaking
- Tom & Christine Sine in Newberg & Portland OR Nov 6-12 – Join us at the Arbor Lodge Coffee and Community Space Saturday Evening for coffee and conversation.
- Tom & Christine Sine with Mark Scandrette in San Francisco CA Nov 26-30 –
- Join us November Seeking the Way of Jesus in Changing Times
- A Simple Celebration Evening
- Christine Sine in Alexandria, VA April 11-13, 2013
- Christine Sine in New Haven CT, May 6-10, 2013
- Tom & Christine Sine in Australia June 5-25, 2013
If you are interested in hosting an event in conjunction with one of these occasions please let us know.
Thank you for your continued support and prayers during this season of growth and transition.