Community Development and Event Coordinator
If you are interested in sustainability, spirituality and community development then this internship may be for you. Mustard Seed Associates (MSA), a small faith-based non-profit organization, based out of Seattle, WA, is looking for a creative individual with the discipline and desire to help shape their experience.
This position’s core responsibility is the planning and coordination of the annual MSA Celtic Retreat August 5th-7th, on Camano Island, in Washington. Inspired by early Celtic Christians in Ireland and Scotland, this event walks participants through a process of scripture reading, reflection, worship and creative spiritual exercises stirring our imaginations and opening our hearts and minds to the reconciling power of God. There will be plenty of time and space for inner renewal, plus lots of fun, fellowship and food as we journey together toward restoration and wholeness.
Marketing, programming, volunteer acquisition and coordination, meal plan development, liturgy development, marketing, program budgeting and more will be the responsibility of the Community and Event Coordinator.
Position is flexible in weekly commitment level and can vary from 10 hours per week minimum up to 40 hours per week max. Coordination of the Celtic Retreat is the only explicitly required program and full participation is required for that event regardless of weekly commitment. Beyond that, the intern and MSA Executive Director will partner in shaping the program experience. Depending on agreed upon goals, there will be additional opportunities for:
- Organic garden design and implementation
- Event coordination at MSA house
- Developing and leading workshops
- Community housing praxis development
- Administrative support of MSA operations
- Article writing for God Space blog
Interested applicants may contact MSA Executive Director for a short informational conversation prior to application submission. Applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with MSA web presence and publications.
Facebook – www.facebook.com/MSAimagine/
Blog – http://godspace-msa.com/
MSA Homepage – http://msainfo.us/ (being re-worked currently)
- Strong desire to invest organically in community
- Awareness of MSA values and a desire to partner towards common goals
- Strong communication skills both orally and in writing
- Basic Computer Skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to lift 25 lbs regularly and 50lbs occasionally
- Event coordination experience
- Organic garden experience
- Powerpoint, InDesign and Publisher Experience
- Current enrollment in academic program in the area of community development, theology, pastoral leadership, non-profit leadership or comparable
Primary work location is based at Mustard Seed Associates house in the Maple Leaf Neighborhood of Seattle. Incumbent may live on or off site.
Site visits to Camano Island retreat property and being full-time on-site during the retreat weekend are required.
MSA will be happy to communicate with academic institutions to arrange for credit. Undergrad and post-grad students are both encouraged to apply.
While there is there is no financial compensation offered at this time, free room and board are available. Housing is in a large, shared, urban community house with a modest single room available.
- Applications due by April 15th
- Interviews between April 15th & 30th
- Selection by May 1st
Important Program Dates
- Start date beginning to mid June
- Celtic Retreat (full time residential camp) Aug 5-7th
- Finish Mid to Late August
Please Send Your Responses to the Following Questions:
- Why are you interested in this position? (200 word max)
- Please describe 3 concrete goals? (200 word max)
- Please describe your worldview on spirituality and the Christian tradition? (200 word max)
- What experiences have prepared you for this position? (200 words OR attach resume)
- Include 3 references
Send to: Christine Sine – MSA Exec. Director
email Christine Sine